Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Opt-out nation

Okay, first there is the opt-out organ harvesting scheme.
Then, the opt-out CPF insurance plans (e.g. Eldershield)
Later, (maybe) the opt-out HIV-screening for hospital admission (huh? males only?)
Even later on, comes this: "Govt may make buying annuity compulsory"

I really am wary when the people in charge here say "maybe", because a policy will just get pushed through regardless of whether people like me (I would think the majority in this case) disagree. Not that I can do anything about it anyway.

Get $500/month till I am 100? What about inflation? What if I croaked at 70 or 80? That'd be $150.000 - (5 or 15)*12*500 = $120.000 or $60.000 free money for the company that provides the annuity (discounting their investment gain). Heck, $150.000, properly invested, can easily earn an average of $9.000 per annum! (at 6% return). I can hire a financial adviser and use a wrap account (-1% management fee) and still get $500/month while still retaining the capital!

I had decided on not using my CPF money for property purchase. But if doing so will enable me to go below the minimum amount required to trigger the "compulsary annuity purchase", I will consider using it for property purchase. (The economic feasibility still need to be thought out. Argh!)

When I retire, I damn well want to enjoy *my* money, and I can plan my own spending, thank you very much! I think I have mentioned a few times how I hate the CPF system. This is like a straw the size of a lamp post on my poor skinny camel's back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home