Monday, March 06, 2006

Conundrum

I am usually too lazy to clean up my room. Papers everywhere, dust bunnies makes comfy nest under my bed, books form mini hills, coat hangers frolick on my bed...

But, I can't stand it when a location gets real messy at the end/in the middle of a party. Me and the whole class was invited to join a potluck party by one of my classmates. And from the location, she seems to be making better money than me ><. As the party progresses, I was clearing up empty containers/plates/cups that were abandoned near me. (People appeared and left in waves, so there were a constant stream of containers being orphaned.)

After a while, the party hostess asked: "Do all Indonesian males help with cleaning up the way you do?" and I was like: "Erm... I guess most of us do, yes." (What else can I say?) Seems like I was the only guy that was actively demolishing the growing mountain of rubbish.

It is interesting the kind of pre-conceptions each of us carry in our heads and how they influence the way we view the world. Usually these pre-conceptions are very hard to break intentionally. But it looks like I had inadvertedly broke quite a few, and mayhaps introduced some, hopefully better, ones. Like - Indonesian (chinese) guys = makes good butlers :P

I should have probably asked her to observe other Indonesians (when available) as I contradict myself a lot.

4 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous_X said...

After a while, the party hostess asked: "Do all Indonesian males help with cleaning up the way you do?" and I was like: "Erm... I guess most of us do, yes." (What else can I say?)

You...spoil...the...market. Well done! ;)

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Indonesian (and Malaysian or other foreign) guys seem to be the only ones who clean up after a party. Singaporean guys either leave early, or sit around expecting to be served. Local guys should learn from you.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Elvina aka LaoNiang said...

Hey thanks for dropping by my blog. Though your comments left me a bit lost, with the nihongo and all... :)

Cool writing here. Hope to see you at Hotel Solace more often. :)

10:32 AM  
Blogger Ole' Wolvie said...

A_x: This should be called patriotism no? :D

Shakespeare: Well, you just got yourself a nice local guy :P Anyway, there were no local guys in that party. All Japanese and one China guy.

Elvina: Thanks your thank you note too. Most people don't bother to. (I thought you are already learning Japanese :P)

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home