Friday, January 25, 2008

Even more numbers...

Hmmm... what's this?

The reported average cabbie earnings is a tad too high?

Oh, that was for the case of a person driving 2 shifts (practically 24 hours, or is it 30 hours? The article indicated at the second last paragraph that a full shift is 15 hours) a day!

Ah! Just an honest mistake I am sure, leaving out such an important factor. But wait a minute...

The average figure per shift now is $159, which becomes $85 after accounting for rent and fuel (how about cab maintenance?). Unfortunately, I am not able to take this figure at face value. The simple reason is, I don't know the actual rental fee, and it is not mentioned in the article. I have seen figures anywhere between $70 to $100. (Approx. $81 from the comment of a taxi driver - SL here [near the bottom of all comments].) And I thought verifying information and providing accurate ones is one of a journalist's duty.

Nice try.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home