Wednesday, November 16, 2005

If you're obese... are you rich or poor?

I got into an interesting small discussion today with my colleague, when she commented that her previous employer often talked about her precious 2000 pounds clothing - which she can't wear in Singapore, beause it is a winter coat!

This somehow led to the topic about Indian saris that her previous housemate had her put on before, and how she initially thought that the people were wearing it wrong as their bellies were showing. (Bulging out :P) I had to explain to her that in a way, that is one of the beauty of saris. They are one size fits all, and that for Indians (traditionally anyway, not sure about the modern outlook), the girth of one's body shows one's affluence. The rounder you are, the richer you are, and people looked favorably on you. (This mindset seems to be going in the way of the dinosaurs though...)

In the western world however, at least in the modern aspect, it is usually the poorer people that are fat. Food are cheap, and the 'unhealthy' ones are even cheaper. In an ironical reversal, it is the rich there that can keep their sclupted body (i.e. non-obese looking) through the utilization of nutritionists, personal trainers, higher priced organic food, and cosmetic surgeons.

Now, from the US of A, we have the "Fat acceptance movement". People are pushing their responsibility for getting fat due to excessive food intake and lack of exercise to nature, the food industry, and whatnot. I agree that there are some people out there that are naturally chubby and genes do play a part, but it really does not help if said person eats 500g steaks every meal and then have a tub of ice-cream for dessert. I think that being slightly fat (overweight) is not too bad while being obese, is not. Here's a BMI calculator, and do note that it has limitations.

Examples:

"I am fat because my genes made me so!"
"I am fat, because the restaurant neglected to inform me how much calories are in the food they serve!"
"I am fat because these junk food are all I can afford!" (Without mentioning the regular purchase and consumption of 3 burgers per meal)
"I am not fat, and I blame the diet/fashion industry for making me look so!"
"I can't exercise because I have no energy!" (despite all the calories they consume? *DOH*)

These people should just go to live in India... (Before the westernization of India changes the mindset over there. Or, I guess it might already be too late.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still think it is best to be fair and slim, which I am neither. :-(

2:34 PM  
Blogger Ole' Wolvie said...

*Slap forehead*

You sound like you want to be underweight. (Last known fact is that you're in healthy weight range.) As for fair... I have never seen ya, so cannot comment.

Sonic! Is she fair?

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home