Wednesday, March 15, 2006

A B C D...

I tend to be very sympathetic with the young kids nowadays. It seems that by primary 1, they are already expected to be able to read and comprehend quite a wide range of materials. I feel that they are being pushed too fast.

I remembered starting to learn how to read and count only from Primary 1. (k - a - ka, k - i - ki, kaki "foot". 1+1=2) I can't really recall much about pre-school, but there seemed to be a lot of play and discovery activities. Look at where I am now. I still function pretty well linguistically.

That reminded me. I overheard a lady sitting beside me complaining about the language that she is learning (quite loudly, I assure you). She claimed that it is weird. She could not find a pattern on how the collective form for this language vary with the item being counted. That was when I guessed that she was talking about Japanese. Sure enough, she started giving an example about counting books.

"?!" But the collective for books is constant...
And then I realized that she must be referring to: 「本」, which is used to count long objects in Japanese. I wonder if I should just have taught her how to.

Anyway, the move is 95% complete, only 1 more box to transfer today.

Plus: Finnish Art of Conversation

4 Comments:

Blogger Elvina aka LaoNiang said...

wolvie! what does Oh...my....XYZ mean?? haha....cannot decipher la.

3:21 AM  
Blogger Ole' Wolvie said...

Elvina~

Don't tell me you've never watched F.R.I.E.N.D.S?

Anyway, it is supposed to be "Oh My God". Safer to obfuscate it in case some fundamentalist decides to go after me :P

10:32 AM  
Blogger Chuang Shyue Chou said...

I wonder if kids have any free time anymore. Those little carefree days we enjoyed?

I heard of pre-schoolers attending some learning courses before entering pre-school! I was shocked.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Ole' Wolvie said...

All those instructional tapes they heard when in the womb must have not been sufficient.

A pre-pre-school? Geez...

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home