Thursday, July 24, 2008

Affordable (Dream) Home...

I read a comment somewhere in the intertubes that:

"A person earning $30,000 per annum has no business buying a $500,000 house".
This is in the American context, but I presume that it can be extrapolated for Singapore.

So, I got curious, and tried to find out just how much of a house I "should" be targeting at my current income level. I shall assume that by the time I can buy the house, I have an annual income of $36,000.

By the calculator provided here (US case), I can only afford $130,000 worth of house. (At 4.5% mortgage rate, no time frame.)

Another calculator here tells me that I can afford $128,000 worth of house. That's close to the previous one. (4.5% rate, 30 years, and approx $2000 in property tax + conservancy fee)

This calculator gives a value of $145,000. (It does not include other fees, but it has a downpayment element, which brings the loan itself to $125,000) Again, pretty close to the above 2.

The affordability calculator provided in the CPF site here computes to $165,000. This differs by approx 25%. Even reducing the income a little to simulate tax and fees generated a value of $154,000. Adding a renter that pays $600 a month bumps the figure to $213,000.

While I don't know which basic assumptions differ in the calculators, the US-based calculators are pretty consistent, while the Singapore one encourages higher loan. However, both cases have given me the same indication: Housing in Singapore is really expensive. To think that I'd initially estimated that I can afford a $300,000 loan.

Looks like I have another incentive to find a wife that prefers to remain in the workforce, and able to prioritize between handbags and investment.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mortgage of 3x annual salary is comfy
>5x will be living pay check to pay check
>7x will be stretching - gotta dream got big bonus
>10x is like US-style subprime recklessness

10:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It has become very easy to get what you want. What you need to be concerned about is choosing the right bank. You can check Citibank services as it provides great schemes that is really beneficial. For more information https://www.citibank.com.sg/SGGCB/APPS/portal/loadPage.do?tabId=home&path=/promo/det/cb_promo08.htm

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home