Monday, August 08, 2005

National uhh.. day?

Somehow I am in a holiday mood today...

I do wonder what is the decision in using the title 'National Day' as opposed to 'Independence Day'. After all, Singapore was once a colony of the British. And as for countries that was never colonized (most of the European countries) I believe they have an equivalent day. France has Bastille Day, Spain has Hispanic Day, and Canada even has a Canada Day!

As far as I can see, only Singapore and Japan used the word 'National Day' to call this commemorative day. It is another holiday for me, so I shall not be complaining. I just wished that my current project was not that busy, I could have taken holiday today and go to Thailand or something.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I remember from the time when I had to conduct National Education seminars, I think the term "National Day" comes about because it was the "birth" of a Nation. It could easily be called Independence Day, but the fact was that the "birth" occured long after the last British governor left, and Singapore had just separated from Malaysia and became a nation / country by itself.

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home