Friday, October 14, 2005

Sense of entitlement...

The game I am currently playing is having a server maintenance to clear up bugs and other stuff. Then I went to the games forum to find out what new things has been added to the game (that might have caused the bugs). Instead, I found people complaining that the company is refusing to 'compensate' them for the downtime. They feel that since they paid to play the game, they are entitled to full uninterrupted gaming, x24 hours, all the time.

I find it rather sad that these people do not realize that this 'downtime' is what allowed us to play the game smoothly. As far as I know, an average server downtime of 1 day over 3 months shows a very well maintained server. And once every three months, some idiots will come and complain about the downtime, and there would be a flame war in the forums, which makes it very difficult to find any useful information about new updates. Unfortunately, I do not have any idea of a Japanese equivalent for the forum that I visit to make a comparison.

Is complaining a basic human nature? Even if the point is absurd? The sense of entitlement that some people have really amazes me. Here I am, still thinking that I have to work for a lot of the things I want, and not just have them given to me because "I am entitled to".

Playing in a world that is populated by 2 differently polarized cultures really makes for interesting observations. For one, English speakers tend to trask talk when in a group, even with strangers about. I have never had a Japanese speaker do that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure if it is an international game server with international players, but the complaining and self-centredness (thinking they are "entitled to" anything) sounds typically like a Singaporean thing. And complaining is human nature, but essentially also a typical Singaporean thing.

That's why at times I feel very ashamed about my own countrymen.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Ole' Wolvie said...

Hur hur...

Singaporeans are nothing compared to some other countries which I shall not mention when it comes to this 'Sense of entitlement'.

1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home