Thursday, October 19, 2006

Mini calamities

Alrighty then...

One of my favourite Japanese TV programme seems to have ended its successful 9 year run.
It is the Dotch Cooking Show, and it really is a pity as I had just discovered their website recently.

As I was about to make a post about this, I found out that I have been subjected to a censorware.
That's right. I have fallen under the yoke of a corporate web filtering service that has managed to eliminate over 60% of my daily content, including all the free web-mails, and messenger systems (although I don't use this one a lot).

I really, really do not like this kind of artificial restrictions. Especially when it is implemented in the name of "security". For one, we are all now under the mercy of the company that provides the filter. If they decided to classify Wikipedia under "Miscellaneous" (which is one of the filters), *poof* there goes one of my sources of data. As it is, I am already unable to access some of my translation and writing resources as they have been classified under "Internet Communications", which is also filtered.

Gah... going to work has just lost some of its lustre.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. It is just so frustrating when you find the page you really need to access has been "filtered" due to "security" reasons. Somehow those more dubious websites seem to be more easily accessible. Wonder just how much security there really is.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Ole' Wolvie said...

If I really, really wanted to, I think I could go around it (and have my workmates wonder why I am the only one being able to access webmail).

Setting a filtering system in the name "security" is very lame as it can easily be bypassed by a person who really would want to compromise "security" from within. It is called a thumb drive. (Then there's the upcoming island wide wireless acess.)

11:05 PM  
Blogger Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Nine year run! You watched for all nine?

4:27 PM  
Blogger Ole' Wolvie said...

I wish I could :D

I only had the luck of watching 1 year's worth (plus some recent snippets in YouTube)

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home