Monday, August 15, 2005

Library... or not library...

I decided to pay a visit to the new library that is hyped to be 'the place to be'.

The very first thing that I did was to drop off the wrong bus stop. I wonder what prompted my mind to alight there, but I was firmly convinced that the building is a short walk from Clarke Quay MRT. So.. I wandered round and round, and ended up at Tanjong Pagar MRT. (Where I learnt that the library is actually near to Bugis MRT.) It was a pretty interesting walk though. The day was sunny, and the wind was kind. There was hardly anyone around the area (Shenton Way), and I felt like I can own the whole place.. muahahaha.

Anyway, I took the MRT and finally entered the new library building. It was huge! There were tonnes of people! Ever since they had the new comics section @ Orchard library and Jurong East library, I was anticipating an even bigger collection here. I waded through the sea of people (there was even a long queue of people wanting to return books) to find my quarry. Finally I saw my target, and I pounced... only to be hit on the heart with the barb of dissapointment.

Their idea of a 'comics section' was a single row of racks, and by the time I got there, it was skeletal. I went through the remains carefully, hoping for a leftover morsel, when a young boy scurried away with the only copy of comic which I have not read. Arrgh~~! How can this be?!?!? The selection was mediocre (granted though they might have been borrowed out) and the ones that they have there can also be found in the other 2 libraries. I am aware that there might be copyright issues involved in putting books in a library, but come on... this is pathetic. (Especially the chinese comics section)

On top of that, I learnt that only the books in the basement can be borrowed. The rest are classified under reference materials, and can only be read in-situ. I came here expecting stories of glorious books, and all I get is a small corner in the basement... mutter mutter. (They do have a bigger selection of novels, that's a saving grace)

Overall, even though I love the libraries in Singapore (one of the things I felt that is done really well here), this newest library is more hype than practicality for now. The reference section, which made up the most of their collection, does not give an 'accesible' feel, that is a pity.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What gave you the idea the new National Library is around Clarke Quay MRT anyway?

I haven't been there yet, although from my experience going around National Libraries, it may be another messy place.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Ole' Wolvie said...

Not too sure. It was a sunday, so my brain might have decided to take a vacation...

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home