Thursday, August 25, 2005

Natsu Matsuri~

When I was walking around Orchard road last Saturday after my dance class, I saw not 1, not 2, but 3 young girls wearing Yukata near the Hereen. At that time, I was baffled. Was I still in Japan? The scene, the weather, was very similar to what I saw at Shibuya in Japan. Then I heard smatterings of Singlish and the illusion was dispelled.

Turns out that there was a Summer Festival being held at the Singapore Japanese School in Changi. I wished I had known earlier...

Anyway, that also made me recall a Haiku I made when I was in Japan (for a lesson).
A Haiku is a Japanese form of poetry that consists of 3 lines, with the format of 5-7-5 syllables. The traditional Haikus are usually about people's activities and nature sights/occurances during the seasons.

Here it goes. My Summer Haiku.

青い空 (aoi sora)
白い砂浜 (shiroi sunahama)
ビール一本 (bi-ru ipponn)

Translation:
Blue skies
White beach
A bottle of beer.

Better Translation: (Haiku format)
Under the blue sky
Sitting on white sandy beach
Ice cold beer in hand

(Even through I do not really like beer, that is one of the modern Japanese Summer scenery :D)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only form of poetry I can actually write is the haiku. I had to spend a whole semester in uni learning about the "17 Syllables". YOur haiku translation is pretty good! How I wish I know Japanese!

12:07 AM  
Blogger Ole' Wolvie said...

Lol.. well, I wrote the Haiku by myself, so I have the artistic license to extend it.

I'll put up a few more in future if I recall them (kinda hard to make seasonal ones when there's no season here)

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home