Sunday, August 21, 2005

Messages to the otherworld

I was about to continue my train of thought about the Price of Choices, when I read about a young lady blogger who passed away the very next day after she posted about her bad dream in her blog.

For the full story, go to 'Scratchpad' in my link list.

I went to the blog to take a look, and was touched by the amount of condolences that was given there, quite a few by perfect strangers it seems. Blogging is indeed proving to be quite a powerful tool of communication.

However, as I was scanning though the messages, I noticed in particular, two 'conflicting' themes. Some of the messages are Muslim based, and some are Christian based. Both bear the same wish, hoping that the young lady find her place beside the all supreme being. (Yes I am weird that way, sometimes I notice weird things...)


It actually made me question: If I am to give a message of condolence, or a 'sending away message', should I do it based on the Religion of the person I am sending away, or shall I base it on my own Religion? I am personally a free thinker and a nominal Buddhist, and so do not really have a conflict in faith to wish someone a blessed existence in the other realm under the guidance of the all supreme being.

There are other possible ramifications to this, (For example, is it not a little awkward for a Muslim to say: "May Allah be with you" if the person is a Christian, and similarly vice versa?)

I find it very easy to distance myself from 'bad' incidents as long as I am not directly involved, on the spot. (My ex-colleague and her whole family are victims of the tsunami, and they could not even find their bodies) That might be my curse of an overly logical mind, as I always feel that when the time comes, it will come no matter what. There's no point worrying about it. (She was supposed to go to Vietnam, but went to Thailand instead because she could not get tickets.) But I'd be lying if I say that I do not fear Death, because I still have things to do on Earth.

To the lady, I shall say: "Go in peace, and maybe I'll see you in the next life"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dunno how other countries do it, but here, anyone from any race / religion will just say "May God Be With You". It's considered universal and no one will take offence.

1:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home