Friday, April 07, 2006

Random Quotes V

"Edgy and interesting" is for premarital adventuring. "Funny, kind and able to cope with a broken faucet" is marriage material.

- a lady forum poster

When I again had trouble with a leak at my previous abode, I tried a few methods to try and fix it myself, as calling for a plumber is not exactly cheap. Both the faucet and the pipe were leaking this time.

I tried to duct tape the faucet. - It did not work.
I tried to duct tape the pipe. - It did not work.
I tried to use epoxy glue on the pipe. - It did not work.

I gave up and I called my friend, who recommended to me, an economical plumber.
As the plumber worked, I observed what he was doing. Then I asked him, where did you learn how to fix stuff like this? He said that he had to "steal" the skills from other people as there seems to be no formal training school for it, and the people in the trade are reluctant to share their techniques for fear of competition. Reminds me of the medieval age guild system...

So I got the plumbing fixed, with $30 for the damages - New faucet + water valve + piping. (He said that this kind of job would usually cost up to $50)

Looks like a handyman course could make good money here. Plus, I have learnt something - turn off the water mains before attempting epoxy glue, or anything else even.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home