Saturday, September 03, 2005

Mango mango

I decided that my treat yesterday was not quite enough, so I headed to Takashimaya to pay a visit to the new Japanese 'Fast Food' Restaurant called "Pepper Lunch" that I saw on my way home last week.

But before that, for you mango lovers out there: I found the Indonesian mango "Harum Manis" (Fragrant Sweet) in Carrefour Singapura Plaza selling at $1.55 each. They are still green though, so you'll have to keep them aside for 2-3 days before consumption. Their nice mango aroma will tell you when they are ready to eat.

So, as I was queueing, one of the servers walked down the line to take down the number of seats that is needed by the groups of people. I was the only '1' among a sea of 2,3,4's. (There was even a 5, a group consisting of a guy, his gf and 3 other pretty good lookin ladies. Bummer...)

The restaurant is very well decorated, and have pretty comfy seats too. The generous use of wood in their furninshings coupled with warm lighting and delicious aroma of cooking food made me feel like I was back in Japan. That is, until the group of 4 ladies to my right started yakking about their work and life in Singlish :D (I seem to be getting this JApan flashbacks pretty often recently... I wonder why...).

My food arrived steaming on a black, round hotplate, and the server began explaining to me how I should 'cook' the food before tucking in. On the hotplate was a mountain of beansprouts, some greens, carrots, and meat with butter. It was pretty good. I had a 'Hamburger and Steak combo with rice and green tea' (The green tea is the Japanese version, kinda bitter). I was hoping for better rice though, (am quite fussy when it comes to Japanese rice) but I guess in Singapore, this is the 'normal' standard for Japanese rice. The damage came to a total of 15+ bux, and although this restaurant does have an authentic Japanese taste (in Singapore), I was quite miffed as for the same price, (1000yen) I could have gotten a better meal in Japan.

A good place overall. Recommended for taste and ambiance.

2 Comments:

Blogger JellyGirl said...

I love Pepper Lunch! I keep dreaming of their humbaagaa steak! Mmmmm...

9:51 AM  
Blogger Ole' Wolvie said...

Hehe yeah, it was pretty good actually. Could be better though :P (Life in Japan has spoilt my tolerance for Japanese food... *sigh*)

You might have tried this one before - I think that the Hamburger (ハンバーガ) made by the store selling the yakitori bento (beside Ajisen) is juicier.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home