Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Collective noun: A Canteen of Indonesians?

After the talk, some (4) of us adjourned to this newly opened Indonesian canteen located at the 6th floor of Plaza Singapura. (After much hemming and hawing of what to do and where to go.)

We sat down and begin ordering our dinner (none for me as I was still quite full). To our chargin, many of the food set we tried to order were out of stock, and even most of the drinks were out of stock. (Indonesian efficiency I tell ya...) But the food was pretty good (enough to make me salivate), despite the price (a little on the high side, but cheaper than restaurants) and we got a 10% opening discount (that, and we got to wait 30 minutes to settle our bill because there was a sudden influx of like 20 other Indonesians as we were leaving...)

Turned out that this one guy who was with us (he shared a surname with a certain famous racer) was invited to go out by no less than 3 groups of people, and he managed to draw all of them to that place! (Man.. good for business...) I have not seen this many Indonesians informally gathered before other than the 'Sunday crowd' around Orchard MRT...

It was an interesting outing to ole' asocial me, and I managed to find someone working in a tour agency to fix up my GAMECON1 trip for me! Whoot! (She's pretty cute too.. heh heh heh)

Speaking about the "Indonesian efficiency"... A collague of mine asked if there is a boat service plying between Jakarta and Bali. I thought, why not? and helped her search. Well, the result was zero, nada, none. No boat route from Tanjung Priuk (Jakarta) to Benoa (Denpasar). There are ferry services from Bali to East Java, and that's it.

What really irritates me though, was the Pelni (Indonesian shipping monopoly...) website. They did not even list their available routes, nor the name of cities correlated with the ports! I can *slightly* understand if the Indonesian page does not have it, but the English page too? (Oh yeah, foreigners are all suposed to be well versed with the names of each port in Indonesia, there's no need to provide the city names.) Their city search function is broken, their pricing info is broken, and other stuff are broken too.

And they spelled "Creativity" wrong... (top right hand of page) among other things.
Then, I noticed that the copyright tag is for year 2003, and their latest news is for February 21st 2005... *slap forehead*

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

6th floor Plaza Singapore ?
Are you sure ? I thought 6th floor of Lucky Plaza and the name is Kantin Aneka.
Thanks

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home