Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Mini dilemna...

On my way to work today, I encountered a lady sitting on the floor of the underpass that I had to go through every work day. She was obviously distressed, and she kept asking if there is a bus to Hougang from there, and that she needed to get home to take her insulin shot.

As far as I know, there is no bus from the nearest 2 bus stops that goes anywhere near to Hougang. As I was thinking, one of my collagues happened to see us, and she also had no idea if any bus there goes to Hougang. So, we tried to tell the lady to take some other bus to the MRT instead. However, she insisted to only wanting to take one direct bus. (Well, she got here somehow right?)

So I pondered calling the police for assistance. I asked my colleague if she knows how this call to 999 might work out, and she too had no idea. Neither of us has ever called the police before. However, suddenly the lady insisted that she'll walk to the bus stop, and ask other people about the bus to Hougang since we weren't being helpful. And she did, just like that, leaving two baffled office workers (us) behind.

It seems that she does not want to have anything to do with the police. I do wonder though, aside from getting her into a taxi, what else could have been done in such a case? Especially since the person is behaving erratically.

4 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous_X said...

I'm not sure being irrational is the symptom when one in the need of insulin shot.

Maybe. Maybe not.

But next time should you encounter similar situation whereby you're hesitating to call 999, just call 999. Their response is prompt & they might be able to coordinate a right help if necessary.

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, calling the cops is the best way. It'll not be treated as a crank, and the police has to help someone in need.

9:05 AM  
Blogger kuro.shiro.neko said...

i think you should be applauded for wanting to help that woman.

many people would rather turn a blind eye to her i am sure.

maybe this was first time for you and your colleague to encounter such a "erratic" person, so you didnt really know what to do.

on a similar topic, i was lugging my 26" suitcase up a flight of stairs (damn subway station in sapporo!) when a woman, clearly seeing i was struggling, offered and immediately took the other end of my luggage and i was able to haul the 19kg to the top with ease!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Ole' Wolvie said...

Thanks for the feedback.

Next time I'll go off sight and call 999 while keeping an eye out for the person.

Good excuse for coming to work late :P

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home