Monday, April 17, 2006

To Thai or not to Thai...

Last week, I was treated to a dinner at Thai Village.

The ambiance was good, and very Chinese, which got me wondering initially about the name of the restaurant. And well, it is a chinese restaurant with a slight Thai flavor. They do not have Tom Yum soup or Mango Salad, but they have Shark's Fin Soup - of which I had a share.

The service is good, and the food is delicious. I am not really partial to the expensive Chinese dishes such as Abalone and Shark's Fin Soup, but well, this is a once in a few months kind of thing, plus I am not paying for it so... :P I personally don't get the Chinese obsession with this particular food item, but I do realize the significance of including it in an order.

The item that really gave me a pleasant surprise was their Gelato dessert. Glazed with chocolate, shaped and colored to look like a real fruit, these icy desserts are a real treat! Each of them even has a chocolate 'Seed'. (The peach one had a Ferrero Roche in it). I had an 'Apple', and it was grrrrrrrrreat. (Even better than the Shark's Fin :P) The gelato is not cloyingly sweet, and it is really smooth. The chocolate "peel" just melts on the tongue.

Overall recommended. A dinner for 4 should cost an average of $40-$50 per head when sharing one medium pot of Shark's Fin Soup.
I heard a lot of other Indonesians there, as well as saw other International clientelle. Many of the servers are not too good with English though, so have a Chinese speaker handy for better facilitation.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, how much does the dessert alone cost? Gelato, glazed with chocolate.... peach with Ferrero Rocher.... my craving is coming back again!!!

7:43 PM  
Blogger Ole' Wolvie said...

A nice number - S$8.00!

(Plus tax and everything :P)

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home