Monday, January 12, 2009

Old haunts refurbished...

I went down to the upgraded Jurong Point mall after hearing that it is now fully open from an acquaintance. And I should say that I am quite pleased. Unlike the original wing, there is no ceiling separating the basement from the skylight at the new wing. This makes it bright and airy despite the heavy human traffic (it was a Sunday). Ding Tai Fung has an open concept restaurant there and there are plenty of new shops. It also appears that the new bus interchange will be located directly beneath this wing. I just hope that the exaust fumes would not affect the air quality in the building. There is also a series of uncompleted flats attached to the new wing. I wonder how much will they sell for. Overall, Jurong Point would be worth visiting again in future.

I still wonder why IMM decided to pull out their shuttle service from Boon Lay. Are they concerned about people in Jurong East using it to go to Boon Lay?

I also visited the relocated Community Library. While it is slightly larger than its predecessor in Jurong Point (which location is now the medical floor), the selection of novels looks to me to be of the same size. The comics collection has improved a little, but still only have much of the same stuff that the other libraries have.

The previous week, I went to visit the Marina Barrage. The waiting area for the shuttle bus at Marina Bay MRT looks like it was thrown together as a side thought. It has no shelter and is sandwiched between a road and a construction site, which makes it a very unpleasant place.

Having reached the barrage, it was quite nice really. The sea breeze was soothing and the view spectacular even in the daytime. I can just imagine how it would be at night. A lovely spot for wine, cheese, crackers, and good companion(s). Also, the New 7th Storey Restaurant that had moved here from Bugis should be worth a visit the next time my parents are here. There is one big grouse though: the inaccessibility of this place after 7:00 pm if one does not have a car. Having to call a taxi to go and return from there would be a royal pain in the tush.

At the other side of the structure is a fenced up area. Another place that I used to frequent when I was younger - the Marina Bay BBQ and Steamboat stalls. I remembered trying to fly kites with my JC friends at the open field before going for scrumptious dinner. That place is now gone. I presume to be transformed into a portion of the integrated resort.

With the landscape changing so fast (among other things), is it any wonder that people in Singapore find it difficult to relate with their country?

1 Comments:

Blogger Chuang Shyue Chou said...

I remember being at that Marina area where people fly kites once or twice. That was about twelve years ago.

Do you remember the old Marina Village from the early nineties?

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home