Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Crossed pedestrian...

When it takes close to 10 minutes to get cross a road at a road junction, something is wrong. I really dislike road junctions with only 3 pedestrian crossings, like this:

A------B
I
I
I
D------C

Getting from Point 'B' to point 'D' means crossing at most 2 roads.
However, if one happens to want to get to point 'B' from point 'C', he or she will have to cross 3 roads, because there is no crossing there! I do not get this, the cars will have to stop anyway, why not provide a crossing there? An encouragement to Jaywalk, at the least...

Anyhow, I was at the GAMECON1 meeting yesterday, and I was quite amazed at the scale they are trying to pull off. An estimated number of 5000 visitors per day over 2 days, and the convention area is going to be larger than a footbal field (18000sq feet).

There will be miniature games (Warhammer etc.), collectible card games (M:TG, etc), and board games (Avalon Hills, etc) being showcased there as well as some prominent speakers from the game design industry. I have confirmed a place for myself to be one of the volunteer boardgame facilitators contingent from Singapore, and I think they might still need a few more people (around 6). We are expecting to have to take care of at least 80 tables. Those who are interested can find more information from the Singapore Boardgamers link.

GAMECON1 is being held in Kuala Lumpur, MID Valley Convention Center, 3rd to 4th December 2005, 10 am - 10 pm. For those who are interested in signing up just to enjoy the convention, do come down to Settler's Cafe (the one in the city) on the 1st of November, 7:00pm onwards, to see what travelling packages are available.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chuang Shyue Chou said...

I used to hold boardgame sessions at my place about two years ago. The attendence at these sessions went up to 25 or so people. After that peak, we decided to stop.

Our regular Saturday sessions then started from 2:00 pm to 11:00 pm at night and in the space of a year, we played over 200 different German games.


On another note, do you recall those RPG/boardgame/cardgame/LARP conventions that the Thomson CC group used to hold in 1993-1995? Those 'Virtual Reality' Conventions were quite big and there were at least two or three of them over a few years. I didn't go but many people did. Ask around, many can still remember those days.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Ole' Wolvie said...

I was never involved with any of the Thompson CC activities.

The Convention is being held by Malaysians actually, and it is their first attempt. My guess is that they are attempting to turn it into an annual event, probably with more things added in future.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Chuang Shyue Chou said...

ahh...


These days we, at least a lot of my friends and I, have slowed down a lot on German games. We are going back to wargames. ie wargames from GMT Games, Decision Games, L2 Design, Multiman Publishing, Clash of Arms.

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home