Monday, May 08, 2006

Would you like me to verify your confirmation?

I think I am going to really, really start to dislike some synonyms. Oh, they are fun enough to learn about and use, but I do not like being unsure if what I am writing is going to be understood correctly by the intended recipients.

Recently, one of the phrase I was given to translate is: 設定確認
設定 is not really a problem as it is basically the "Settings" of a machine.
確認 is the problem here, because of the lack in context. It can be generally translated as [Confirm], that in itself has 4 meanings:
1 : to give approval to : (ratify)
2 : to make firm or firmer : (strengthen)
3 : to administer the rite of confirmation to
4 : to give new assurance of the validity of : remove doubt about by authoritative act or indisputable fact

Furthermore, the Merriam-Webster dictionary shows that [Confirm] has the following synonyms:
[Validate] = implies establishing validity by authoritative affirmation or by factual proof
[Corroborate] = suggests the strengthening of what is already partly established
[Substantiate] = implies the offering of evidence that sustains the contention
[Authenticate] = implies establishing genuineness by adducing legal or official documents or expert opinion
[Verify] = implies the establishing of correspondence of actual facts or details with those proposed or guessed at

(Notice most of the relations are implying something)

So, I translated it as: "Verify Settings", because from what I can infer, some checking is required in this context. Today, I was informed that they already have a current translation that says: "Settings Confirmation", and asked for advice. (I was not even sure of what kind of advice they wanted, as they only state that this phrase currently have 2 translations.)

I advised them that in case of problems, it would be better to use [Verify]. I could not really go into detail though, as the advice is to be written in Japanese.

To me, both words can be used to mean "to check that", but [Confirm] has a nuance of "commitment" that is lacking in [Verify]. You press the "confirm" button when you are sure that the choice is what you want, and you press the "verify" button to check if it is not.

I find it hard to explain the difference beween these nuances in other cases.

Besides, 設定確認 can be the contraction of 設定の確認 or 設定を確認.
"確認" is a noun in the former, and a verb in the latter.

Just adding an "of" would change the meaning too.
Confirmation of Settings -> Settings Confirmation = the act of confirming the settings (Passive Action)
Confirmation Settings = a type of settings (Noun)

I really need better instructions!

2 Comments:

Blogger kuro.shiro.neko said...

i can imagine your frustration. here in my office, "check します" is the universal word for "verify", "authenticate", "confirm".

when i first used the word "verify" in my report, the Japanese GM got this ?? on his face. then when i said, "check", he went like "eureka"!

duh...

5:06 PM  
Blogger Ole' Wolvie said...

I am actually quite happy when they use "チェック". Except in sentences that go like: "Please check if the checkbox is checked."

And thankfully, "authenticate" is quite distinct as the word "認証" is used instead. (At least until they decide to use "validate". Gah...)

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home